forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Plans for integrating FOP .94
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:39:08 GMT
On 13.12.2007 16:12:50 Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>
> > Yes, the layout became messed up but this may (hopefully!) be fixed
> > on XSL level.
>
> I think this will be possible. Will take care of that the
> next few weeks.
>

> >> Btw: The update did not fix FOR-413. Things got worse. Next
> >
> > I'm not so pessimistic ... at least I do not get any "infinite loop"
> > errors any more---which is a big improvement!
> >
> > I just tried out the test project and all pages seem to work!
>
> Hmmm. After a restart I'm now getting the images that were
> broken before (even though they seem to be a page too far).
>
> But I'm not getting an image in GIF-Image (OK), are you?

You need to add JAI ImageIO Tools [1] to the classpath to get GIF
support. Sun JVMs don't contain an ImageIO codec for GIF. There is a GIF
codec in Sun's JVMs but that doesn't work satisfyingly for our purposes.
We've had so much trouble that I don't reimplement support for it in the
current image package redesign.

The alternative is to add Jimi or JAI to the classpath. But we're likely
not reimplementing support for those two libraries since ImageIO works
fine and we're dropping Java 1.3 support with the next release. The way
to go is with ImageIO.

[1] https://jai-imageio.dev.java.net/

See also:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/graphics.html

> > The images that are too high are cut off at the end and no scaling is
> > applied as before, even not to wide images.
>
> Yes, I can see them being cut off. Which is probably going
> to remain that way since we cannot determine the rendered
> size of the image in the style sheet. So a mode like switch
> to scaling when image is too big would have to be done by
> FOP, right?

See the end of the following demo file for a possible approach:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/fo/basic/images.fo

Jeremias Maerki