forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unreleased Coccon Code in Forrest 0.8
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 04:14:39 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> An Apache colleague looking at Forrest 0.8 just noticed that
> we have used unreleased Cocoon Code in our release and told
> me that this is not longer permitted.

Here is a summary of the situation.

When we needed to have the pass-through sitemap ability,
we started using Cocoon trunk. (Later i think that was
subsequently backported to 2.1 release branch.)
See the forrest-dev threads where we tried to look
at options for moving to the new Cocoon trunk (which
still would not have helped us) or going back to
use their 2.1 release branch. Still neither works for us.
Consequently, we still use an unreleased version
of an old Cocoon-2.2 trunk.

We have a practice of adding commit messages with the
exact SVN revision number from which those jars are built,
so people can trace to the actual Cocoon source.

We don't include the Cocoon sources in the jars.
The Forrest distribution was already very bloated.

At one stage we did use the revision number as part
of the jar filename, but dropped that because it was
getting hard to manage.

This is mentioned in the release notes, e.g.
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/upgrading_08.html#cocoon

See other old discussion about this topic at
 "decide on upgrade strategy for Forrest's use of Cocoon"

-David