forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: Unreleased Coccon Code in Forrest 0.8
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2007 02:45:05 GMT
Sorry Ferdinand for my late input here,

Is this 'unreleased code' in a public SVN, in trunk or a branch etc ?
Is the code covered by i/CLAs, in other words was the code written and
committed and covered by an iCLA. If yes then surely any Apache project is
covered here. It matters not that it was released or not by Cocoon, that
only proves that Cocoon PMC endorse it as part of their release. What
matters is that it is open source code under the Apache 2.0 license and
that when we released it as part of our official release then the Forrest
PMC endorsed it.

Another example, if someone wanted to take some of Forrests code, either
released or from trunk, as long as they adhere to the Apache 2.0 license,
surely they can do so?

I'd like to see where it says 'this is no longer permitted' before I change
my mind :)

> Do we need top change our release procedures to avoid that
> in the future?

No, I don't think we do, sure we can tighten up and make sure we are using
code under the license correctly, but I see no reason why we can not take
unreleased code and incorporate it.

One last thought came to mind though (which may contradict some of what I
say above, we'll see) , if Cocoon are not endorsing code that we are using,
then mentioning the name 'Cocoon' in that code or in the package name may
imply that Cocoon too endorse that code, we may therefore need to remove any
Cocoon references and repackage it as a Forrest lib etc or whatever. That
may end up being harder than it sounds.

Gav...

<snip>