forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cocoon 2.2, dispatcher and blocks
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:11:41 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:42 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>> I think cocoon blocks can only be built by Maven.
>> No, there is (afaik) no need to use Maven for building a cocoon block.
>> The resulting jar needs to have a specific structure and files and I
>> think one or two manifest entries, but that's it.
>
> Ok, I agree, but if you do not use maven then you need to implement an
> ant script that is doing what you describe. Not sure what is faster.
Sure, but apart from compiling sources and packaging the jars, this is
just adding resources to the jar. It's just a copy statement for ant.

> To understand it better that means I create my servlet and add my cocoon
> jars (core and blocks I want). How about dependencies between blocks,
> etc.? How I do resolve them, by hand?
Yes, if you're not using maven then you have to resolve the deps by hand.

>>> Meaning cocoon has chosen the maven route and if we want to have a
>>> custom build of cocoon we would need to use maven to build it. I do not
>>> think that ivy is able to build cocoon.
>> Ivy is not able to build Cocoon itself but I guess its able to build a
>> Cocoon based application. All you need is access to the Cocoon specific
>> artifacts (which are currently deployed to the maven repositories).
>>

> AFAIK ivy is not building anything but only resolves dependencies, ant
> is building. The problem I see are the dependencies of the artifacts. If
> not controlled by maven who will resolve them (ivy is AFAIR not able to
> resolve dependencies of maven).
I don't know ivy enough to give you the answer, but I thought that ivy
is able to follow transitive dependencies as well. If not, then you're
back to the old days and have to keep track of all deps by hand.

> Further if we develop cocoon blocks then they are ideally be compatible
> with cocoon, right?
Yes, but compatible does only mean that the jar contains some resources
at specific places - nothing more, nothing less.

>> Cocoon itself has decided to use Maven - but this is nothing we want to
>> force our users to use - they are still free to use Ant, Ivy, Maven -
>> you name it.
>
> Totally agree and I am far from recommending forrest use it for they own
> build system. I am actually a big fan of ant/ivy and use maven ATM only
> because of cocoon (even if it is possible to build cocoon with ant and
> ivy I do not have the resources to investigate this route, so I use
> maven to build it).
>
> Thank you Carsten for you feedback and good to see you around. :)
You're welcome :) I'm just still subscribed to this list and have a look
from time to time. if you want to catch my attention, just add my name
somewhere in the mail :)

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler