forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cocoon 2.2, dispatcher and blocks
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:42:19 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> I think cocoon blocks can only be built by Maven.
No, there is (afaik) no need to use Maven for building a cocoon block.
The resulting jar needs to have a specific structure and files and I
think one or two manifest entries, but that's it.

> Actually if we want to
> update our underlying cocoon version (some day) the one doing the update
> would need to have maven installed to build cocoon.
Hmm, again no :) Starting with 2.2 Cocoon is published in binaries again
which means that updating Cocoon is just replacing one (or possibly
more) jar with a newer version. If the nightly build of Cocoon is
working this includes of course snapshots of the latest from svn.

> Meaning cocoon has chosen the maven route and if we want to have a
> custom build of cocoon we would need to use maven to build it. I do not
> think that ivy is able to build cocoon.
Ivy is not able to build Cocoon itself but I guess its able to build a
Cocoon based application. All you need is access to the Cocoon specific
artifacts (which are currently deployed to the maven repositories).

Cocoon itself has decided to use Maven - but this is nothing we want to
force our users to use - they are still free to use Ant, Ivy, Maven -
you name it.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler