forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scherler....@juntadeandalucia.es>
Subject Re: cocoon 2.2, dispatcher and blocks
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 12:47:55 GMT
On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:42 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> > I think cocoon blocks can only be built by Maven.
> No, there is (afaik) no need to use Maven for building a cocoon block.
> The resulting jar needs to have a specific structure and files and I
> think one or two manifest entries, but that's it.

Ok, I agree, but if you do not use maven then you need to implement an
ant script that is doing what you describe. Not sure what is faster.

> > Actually if we want to
> > update our underlying cocoon version (some day) the one doing the update
> > would need to have maven installed to build cocoon.
> Hmm, again no :) Starting with 2.2 Cocoon is published in binaries again
> which means that updating Cocoon is just replacing one (or possibly
> more) jar with a newer version. If the nightly build of Cocoon is
> working this includes of course snapshots of the latest from svn.

To understand it better that means I create my servlet and add my cocoon
jars (core and blocks I want). How about dependencies between blocks,
etc.? How I do resolve them, by hand?

> > Meaning cocoon has chosen the maven route and if we want to have a
> > custom build of cocoon we would need to use maven to build it. I do not
> > think that ivy is able to build cocoon.
> Ivy is not able to build Cocoon itself but I guess its able to build a
> Cocoon based application. All you need is access to the Cocoon specific
> artifacts (which are currently deployed to the maven repositories).

AFAIK ivy is not building anything but only resolves dependencies, ant
is building. The problem I see are the dependencies of the artifacts. If
not controlled by maven who will resolve them (ivy is AFAIR not able to
resolve dependencies of maven).

Further if we develop cocoon blocks then they are ideally be compatible
with cocoon, right?

> Cocoon itself has decided to use Maven - but this is nothing we want to
> force our users to use - they are still free to use Ant, Ivy, Maven -
> you name it.

Totally agree and I am far from recommending forrest use it for they own
build system. I am actually a big fan of ant/ivy and use maven ATM only
because of cocoon (even if it is possible to build cocoon with ant and
ivy I do not have the resources to investigate this route, so I use
maven to build it).

Thank you Carsten for you feedback and good to see you around. :)

salu2