forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <>
Subject Re: cocoon 2.2, dispatcher and blocks
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:54:54 GMT
On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:59 +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am evaluating cocoon 2.2 for a current project and for this project I
> > need to port the dispatcher to a cocoon 2.2 block.
> >
> > I made some first steps but before proceed I would like to ask whether
> > it is ok to create a dir
> > ./whiteboard/cocoon-2.2/blocks
> > and add my code there.
> >
> > As soon I am a wee bit more familiar with the new building system and
> > 2.2. itself I will try to update our underlying version.
> I am concerned that we are suddenly going down the Maven route,
> whereas we had decided to use Ivy when it is ready, which it is now.
> Can blocks be alternatively built by either Maven or Ivy?

I think cocoon blocks can only be built by Maven. Actually if we want to
update our underlying cocoon version (some day) the one doing the update
would need to have maven installed to build cocoon.

Meaning cocoon has chosen the maven route and if we want to have a
custom build of cocoon we would need to use maven to build it. I do not
think that ivy is able to build cocoon.

> I know that you need to get going quickly so go for it,
> but we need to soon consider our build system.

I agree, but ivy is a dependency manager rather then a build system
(which is good old ant).

I am aware that this block move from certain plugins are not in the
spirit of a possible move to forrest2, however we never came to a clear
decision which route we will take.

Thorsten Scherler