forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: rel not in DTD
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 12:44:56 GMT

Thanks Thorsten, but I don't see how that is relevant to what I am trying to
do.

Consider :-

In some cases to stop search engines following the link, giving it ranking
points etc we need to be outputting instead :

W3C specify this in html 4.01 through to current proposed xhtml2

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-A
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/xhtml2-doctype.html

The value of rel="" can be many things, search engines decided that if it
contained "nofollow" then no weightings would be applied to the link and
it would not be spidered out from that point.

See also http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/01/preventing-comment-spam.html

There are also other attributes missing from our DTD, which makes me wonder
if I missed a point somewhere, or maybe just because a documentation
framework such as Forrest minimized and left out those that more than likely
would not be used.

Gav...