forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Williams" <william...@gmail.com>
Subject forrest2 - building/running experimental code [was: Re: DOAP in use
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 11:47:53 GMT
> As many of you will have noticed I've been doing quite a bit of work on
> the DOAP plugin recently. This is for a project here, called Simal, we
> need to create an internal catalogue of projects similar to
> projects.apache.org and since I'd already done much of the work on the
> DOAP plugin here I thought I'd get things kick started by using Forrest.
>
> [ASIDE] I say "kick started" because I still have my concerns about the
> current architecture of Forrest. I hope to find the resources to do this
> with my Forrest 2 experimental code, but right now I don't have the
> necessary resources so am focusing on the existing Forrest.

For what its worth, if you or someone would spend time making it
easier to "just build and run" forrest2 (e.g. webapp mode), I would
love to look at it again.  I personally think that'd be time well
spent.  I spent several hours the other day with forrest2 and wanted
to look at bringing the locationmap inside of spring but quit because
of frustration trying to simply run it in webapp mode.

I know, I know, this is not very valuable feedback since I'm not
explaining the problems I was having technically.  I reckon I'm just
saying that with my few spare cycles, I don't want to fight with
problematic build/deploys.  I'm excited about spending it on the meat
of forrest2 though.  I hate sounding lazy but I suspect that if we
don't make the build/deploy process easier to kickstart with forrest2,
we'll never get enough folks taking a look to generate any real
interest.
--tim