forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forrest2 - building/running experimental code [was: Re: DOAP in use
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:00:42 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>> On 8/6/07, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
>>> As many of you will have noticed I've been doing quite a bit of work on
>>> the DOAP plugin recently. This is for a project here, called Simal, we
>>> need to create an internal catalogue of projects similar to
>>> projects.apache.org and since I'd already done much of the work on the
>>> DOAP plugin here I thought I'd get things kick started by using Forrest.
>>>
>>> [ASIDE] I say "kick started" because I still have my concerns about the
>>> current architecture of Forrest. I hope to find the resources to do this
>>> with my Forrest 2 experimental code, but right now I don't have the
>>> necessary resources so am focusing on the existing Forrest.
>>
>> For what its worth, if you or someone would spend time making it
>> easier to "just build and run" forrest2 (e.g. webapp mode), I would
>> love to look at it again.  I personally think that'd be time well
>> spent.  I spent several hours the other day with forrest2 and wanted
>> to look at bringing the locationmap inside of spring but quit because
>> of frustration trying to simply run it in webapp mode.
>
> I'm going on holiday tomorrow, it is unlikely I will take a look for at
> least a week. However, now that I know someone wants to look at this I
> will document the config steps on a brand new machine image.

I've done quite a bit of work on this. It's not perfect, but Forrest2 no
longer assumes you are developing in Eclipse, so you can do most things
from ANT. I've also brought over build files I created in the ivy branch.

I've not integrated the standalone version of dispatcher yet (which
itself is not complete). This means there is no skinning ability at present.

The webapp now runs, but there are a couple of small bugs outstanding,
so there is a small manual step required in building the webapp (this
hack could be temporarily automated in the build script if we get tired
of it).

Instructions for building and running a webapp can be found in [1]

Let me know if you need more info.

Ross

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/whiteboard/forrest2/forrest2-webapp/src/docs/index.html