forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: multiple projects in single forrest instance
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:53:33 GMT
llamar burgess wrote:

> The whiteboard master/subsite project works and gets content from the
> subsites into the master project.
> This also works for my testproject, when the locator in the masters
> locationmap and the property in forrest.properties.xml are set.
>
> The major things i guess, are theme, navigation, sitemap and locationmap
> for the subsites.
> It would be nice if there was kind of a 'taskmap', because i have no
> idea how these things can be integrated.
> It would be easier for me if i knew which tasks require which changes
> (and how complex they might get).

I don't really have the time to site down and think this through from
beginning to end, I'd rather just hack away at a solution to the most
urgent need and then refactor to make it into something truly usable.

To that end we should keep notes in the index.xml document and, where
appropriate, create issues in the issue tracker. I've created a master
issue at [1] and some sub tasks off of that.

It is highly likely that the number of issues will grow faster than I
can fix them right now. If you really want to pursue this and nail down
the tweaks you'll need to both add issues to the tracker and help close
some of them. Of course, you'll need help finding out how things work
and look at how to fix them. If you want to tackle any specific issue
just ask for pointers on this list, we'll do our best to guide you in
the right direction.

For example, issue FOR-1044 [2] ("Navigation conversion is incomplete")
is a pretty important one. To start understanding what the problem is
here we need to understand the process by which site.xml gets turned
into the HTML.

Searching in sitemap.xmap shows us this:

<!-- The navigation and links file "site.xml" -->
     <map:pipeline internal-only="true">
       <map:match pattern="site.navigation.links.xml">
         <map:select type="exists">
           <map:when test="{lm:project.xml.site}">
             <map:generate src="{lm:project.xml.site}"/>
           </map:when>
           <map:when test="{lm:site.xml}">
             <map:generate src="{lm:site.xml}"/>
           </map:when>
         </map:select>
         <map:transform type="xinclude"/>
<!-- FIXME: This is a workaround to Issue FOR-675 and commons-jxpath-1.2 -->
         <map:transform src="{lm:transform.xml.xml-namespace-stripped}"/>
<!-- end FIXME: FOR-675 -->
         <map:serialize type="xml"/>
       </map:match>
     </map:pipeline>

Do you know what all that means? If not, start here at these docs [3] if
you do then work it through as far as you can and ask here for more help.

> By the way: sorry for the late reply, im off for a couple of days and
> will be back next monday.

Heh, no rush. We're all volunteers here, we're just glad you are helping
with testing this out for us when you can.

Ross

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1040
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1044
[3] http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/sitemap-ref.html