forrest-dev mailing list archives

From llamar burgess <lla...@kraftfeld.org>
Subject Re: multiple projects in single forrest instance
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 02:53:13 GMT
Ross Gardler schrieb:

> I've built a simple test site that does the first stage of this. If
> you could follow along with your test site then we can be sure it
> works. As your understanding of the way Forrest works you'll be able
> to add functionality to the test site.
>
> In the meantime, please ask questions, add requirements to the list at
> the start of the index doc (see below) and do whatever else you think
> may help us move this forwards.
>
> STATUS
> ======
>
> All I've done so far is create a proof of concept, it is a very long
> way from complete. Do the following:
>
> cd FORREST_HOME
> svn up
> cd whiteboard/multipleSites/master
>
> Edit forrest.properties.xml by changing the value of the property
> below to reflect your filesystem:
>
> <!-- FIXME: we can't allow absolute locations like this -->
> <property name="subsite.xdocs.seed"
> value="C:\projects\forrest\whiteboard\multipleSites\subsite-seed\src\documentation\content\xdocs"/>

> Now do:
>
> forrest run
> http://localhost:8888
>
> The resulting page tells you a bit about what I have done in this
> "multipleSites" experiment in whiteboard. If you want quick motivation
> then request:
>
> http://localhost:8888/seed/index.html
>
> What you are now looking at is the index page from
> multipleSites/subsite-seed - but not you ran forrest in the
> multipleSites/master
>
> Now go back and read http://localhost:8888 properly, test it out on
> your test site and supply a patch including any
> clarifications/additions to the content of the instructions.
>
> Also add any requirements you would like to that page.
>
> Then tell me it works/does not work and identify what we need to work
> on next - there are lots of holes in this at present but since you
> have the real world use case I'd rather you pointed at which hole to
> fill first.
>
> Ross

The whiteboard master/subsite project works and gets content from the
subsites into the master project.
This also works for my testproject, when the locator in the masters
locationmap and the property in forrest.properties.xml are set.

The major things i guess, are theme, navigation, sitemap and locationmap
for the subsites.
It would be nice if there was kind of a 'taskmap', because i have no
idea how these things can be integrated.
It would be easier for me if i knew which tasks require which changes
(and how complex they might get).

That said, i dont know the internals of forrest enough to estimate what
makes sense to start out with.
If i had to choose i would go for theme or navigation first (because i
need that most :) ).
What do you think?

By the way: sorry for the late reply, im off for a couple of days and
will be back next monday.
so long

best regards
llamar