forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: multiple projects in single forrest instance
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:46:56 GMT
llamar burgess wrote:
> Ross Gardler schrieb:

>> One question whilst you are working on this - how is your site
>> URLspace going to be structured? Will it be:
>>
>> http://foo.org/Site A/index.html
>> http://foo.org/Site B/index.html
>> http://foo.org/Site B/index.html

..

> Thats exactly how i wanted it to be.
> Whats next? :]

I've built a simple test site that does the first stage of this. If you
could follow along with your test site then we can be sure it works. As
your understanding of the way Forrest works you'll be able to add
functionality to the test site.

In the meantime, please ask questions, add requirements to the list at
the start of the index doc (see below) and do whatever else you think
may help us move this forwards.

STATUS
======

All I've done so far is create a proof of concept, it is a very long way
from complete. Do the following:

cd FORREST_HOME
svn up
cd whiteboard/multipleSites/master

Edit forrest.properties.xml by changing the value of the property below
to reflect your filesystem:

<!-- FIXME: we can't allow absolute locations like this -->
<property name="subsite.xdocs.seed"
value="C:\projects\forrest\whiteboard\multipleSites\subsite-seed\src\documentation\content\xdocs"/>

Now do:

forrest run
http://localhost:8888

The resulting page tells you a bit about what I have done in this
"multipleSites" experiment in whiteboard. If you want quick motivation
then request:

http://localhost:8888/seed/index.html

What you are now looking at is the index page from
multipleSites/subsite-seed - but not you ran forrest in the
multipleSites/master

Now go back and read http://localhost:8888 properly, test it out on your
test site and supply a patch including any clarifications/additions to
the content of the instructions.

Also add any requirements you would like to that page.

Then tell me it works/does not work and identify what we need to work on
next - there are lots of holes in this at present but since you have the
real world use case I'd rather you pointed at which hole to fill first.

Ross