forrest-dev mailing list archives

From llamar burgess <lla...@kraftfeld.org>
Subject Re: multiple projects in single forrest instance
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:39:28 GMT
Ross Gardler schrieb:

> I can certainly spare enough cycles to help guide you through the
> experimentation though. Hopefully, together, we can make it work.
I sure hope so, too :)
Thanks for your help, again.

> First thin first is to switch your site over to using the dispatcher.
> This is whiteboard code in the 0.8 release. It is pretty stable but we
> cannot guarantee that its usage will not change during the course of
> 0.9 development.
>

> The dispatcher replaces the skinning system. It is far more flexible,
> but has a steeper learning curve than skins as a result.
>
> I would recommend that the first thing you do is create an
> experimentation project for this. Keep your published sites in 0.8
> with multiple Cocoon instances (as discussed on the user list). Once
> we have it working you can decide what to do with respect to using
> whiteboard code in production (a few of the devs do use it, so it is
> reasonably dependable).
>
> You might also want to consider working with the SVN version of
> Forrest too. The downside is that you need to track things here, but
> since you are here...
>
> To create your experimentation project (in 0.8-dev or 0.8) copy the
> project you want to use as the "base site" and see
> http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/how/howto-dispatcher-quickstart.html

Got it up and running. My working project is built with the SVN trunk
version of Forrest and ready for action.
This is the first time i am dealing with the dispatcher (just to mention
it..). It looks awesome to me!
If it is capeable of what i think it is... then it will provide
functionality i always wanted to have in Forrest.

> One question whilst you are working on this - how is your site
> URLspace going to be structured? Will it be:
>
> http://foo.org/Site A/index.html
> http://foo.org/Site B/index.html
> http://foo.org/Site B/index.html
>
> Or some other set up?
Nope. Thats exactly how i wanted it to be.
Whats next? :]

best regards
llamar