forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: multiple projects in single forrest instance
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:17:09 GMT
llamar burgess wrote:
> for a actual project i could really use a feature to serve multiple
> 'projects' in a single forrest instance.
> These projects should have theire own sitemap, skinconf, tabs and site
> while sharing the cocoon libs and jars.

Cool. This is something we've wanted to handle for some time. In fact it
is something that I, personally, would like to see happen soon. I have
an emerging need for this, but it is not urgent enough for me to put
significant resources into it right now.

I can certainly spare enough cycles to help guide you through the
experimentation though. Hopefully, together, we can make it work.

> Currently i am using Forrest 0.8 as a webapp in tomcat to serve dynamic
> content.
> This discussion moved over from the user list.
>
> Any suggestion is welcome :)

First thin first is to switch your site over to using the dispatcher.
This is whiteboard code in the 0.8 release. It is pretty stable but we
cannot guarantee that its usage will not change during the course of 0.9
development.

The dispatcher replaces the skinning system. It is far more flexible,
but has a steeper learning curve than skins as a result.

I would recommend that the first thing you do is create an
experimentation project for this. Keep your published sites in 0.8 with
multiple Cocoon instances (as discussed on the user list). Once we have
it working you can decide what to do with respect to using whiteboard
code in production (a few of the devs do use it, so it is reasonably
dependable).

You might also want to consider working with the SVN version of Forrest
too. The downside is that you need to track things here, but since you
are here...

To create your experimentation project (in 0.8-dev or 0.8) copy the
project you want to use as the "base site" and see
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/how/howto-dispatcher-quickstart.html

One question whilst you are working on this - how is your site URLspace
going to be structured? Will it be:

http://foo.org/Site A/index.html
http://foo.org/Site B/index.html
http://foo.org/Site B/index.html