forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Date Formatting in Forrest XSLT stylesheets
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:02:51 GMT
Sina K. Heshmati wrote:
> On Fri, August 17, 2007 6:18 pm, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>
> said:
>
>> Sina K. Heshmati wrote:
>>> I'm currently working on the Baetle plugin where I've decided to
>>> transform the RSS file generated by JIRA for each issue into
>>> Baetle and then process the generated Baetle.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if there were some pre-defined functions in
>>> Forrest that I could reuse in XSLT stylesheets to format dates
>>> from a given format (e.g. Sun, 20 May 2007 10:22:54 -0700 (PDT))
>>> to XSD Date and Time.
>> Nope. But you could use the exslt date and time module
>> http://www.exslt.org/date/index.html
>
> The parse-date [1] function helps but format-date [2] (supported by
> Xalan) doesn't. As [3] implements parse-date in XSLT, I'll use it. At
> the same time, it makes sense to make date-related extensions
> available to other components of Forrest as well, so where do you
> think is best for hosting these libraries. For now, I put mine in
> ${PLUGIN_HOME}/lib. Should you think there's a better location for
> them, let me know.

I'm not sure we want it in the core, the idea is to keep core to the
bare minimum. Whilst it is true that future plugin developments may want
to use it but none of the current ones do. Therefore I'd say it ought to
be in the plugin not core. This could be reconsidered if/when new
plugins identify the need.

Plugin stylesheets should go in ${PLUGIN_HOME}/resources/stylesheets -
there is no need for all the other content that comes in the zip - but
do be sure to credit exslt (they don't have a licence only request
accreditation).

Ross