forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: POssible DOAP additions ?
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:55:57 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> I saw a message that they [ohloh] are creating an API for it [1] and in
> particular this caught my eye ...
>
> "...So far, we are planning on creating a REST API on top of ohloh, enabling
> the ability get information on projects, accounts, stacks, etc... We would
> support XML and JSON out/in and also require a free API key that would limit
> the number of requests a day (to keep our servers reponsive).
>
> What could one do with this?
 >
> I'm hoping you tell us. Off the top of my head, I imagine people might want
>
>     * track who has kudo'd them
>     * write a doap converter
>     * resurface project analytics into their own websites
>     * enrich a user identity with Ohloh stats
>     * derive your own data, like what is the most popular language in the
> UK?
>
> While we're still designing this feature, now is the time to pipe up and
> provide feedback and concerns. Thanks in advance!..."
>
> So , question is, is there an interest in leveraging ohloh information into
> a plugin, either extend existing DOAP, or something else ?

This would not be a DOAP addition, the DOAP plugin needs to stay clearly
defined and handle only DOAP instances. However, I do agree that another
plugin that builds on the DOAP plugin would be appropriate.

In fact, it is already on the Simal task list to generate Ohloh type
data. If Ohloh intend to expose an API then we (the Simal team) will do
the work here as a plugin rather than in the Simal project (that is
assuming we stick with Forrest - which at least for the short term is
likely, in the medium to long term it depends on Forrest2 progress).

Ross