forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Description-Of-A-Career(DOAC) RDF/XML data in Forrest
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:07:24 GMT
Oshani Seneviratne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The DOAC vocabulary specification [1] builds on top of FOAF data, and
> in addition, it is not as mature as the FOAF vocabulary specification
> [2].
>
> Therefore, I am contemplating whether to go for a separate DOAC plugin
> or use the DOAC ontology in describing the professional information of
> a person within the FOAF plugin. With this, we could use Exhibit to
> view and filter people using the different skills (language, social,
> organizational etc), and also various categories in experience and
> education as defined by the specification. In addition, we could
> present a "resume" like page for the person. Even with a separate DOAC
> plugin all this could be done, but I believe some of what is already
> done for the FOAF plugin could get repeated there.
>
> I would really appreciate your comments and ideas on this.

ASSUMPTION: we are talking about RDF/XML only

There is no concept of inheritance in the plugin architecture. we
deliberately avoided it as too complex. The idea was that if we ever
needed it we would force the user to maintain these dependencies.

We do plan to move to an Ivy driven plugin system, this will give full
dependency management, but it could be a long time before this materialises.

With the locationmap it is possible to import stylesheets from one
plugin into another.

The original idea behind plugins was to have small units of
functionality that could easily be added/removed.

I would therefore suggest that you create a separate DOAC plugin but
allow it to depend on the FOAF plugin for as much as the FOAF rendering
as it can.

Ross