forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forrest2 - building/running experimental code [was: Re: DOAP in use
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:17:54 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
>> As many of you will have noticed I've been doing quite a bit of work on
>> the DOAP plugin recently. This is for a project here, called Simal, we
>> need to create an internal catalogue of projects similar to
>> projects.apache.org and since I'd already done much of the work on the
>> DOAP plugin here I thought I'd get things kick started by using Forrest.
>>
>> [ASIDE] I say "kick started" because I still have my concerns about the
>> current architecture of Forrest. I hope to find the resources to do this
>> with my Forrest 2 experimental code, but right now I don't have the
>> necessary resources so am focusing on the existing Forrest.
>
> For what its worth, if you or someone would spend time making it
> easier to "just build and run" forrest2 (e.g. webapp mode), I would
> love to look at it again.  I personally think that'd be time well
> spent.  I spent several hours the other day with forrest2 and wanted
> to look at bringing the locationmap inside of spring but quit because
> of frustration trying to simply run it in webapp mode.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow, it is unlikely I will take a look for at
least a week. However, now that I know someone wants to look at this I
will document the config steps on a brand new machine image.

In the meantime, the core package is better for doing development work
(at least in my opinion it is), since you can automate the testing. See
src/test for examples.

I run these tests in Eclipse, so I don't think I created an Ant target
for it, but "ant run" should work (assuming ibiblio has not removed any
of the required jars) and so it should be trivial to add such a test.

Ross