forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Valid HTML (or not)
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:45:10 GMT
Let me be controversial...

Forrest should not be concerned with outputting valid HTML

---

Now let me clarify, I'm not talking about a complete free for all. I'm
talking about conforming to standards where possible, but allowing
flexibility where necessary. Specifically I am talking about
additional attributes that are not in HTML.

Why?

To create Ajax interfaces we need to have attributes that are not
valid HTML. For example, my DOAP plugin cannot use Exhibit properly
because we do not allow arbitrary attributes in our output, such as
"ex:facets='.category'"

The future?

Since we are moving to XHTML2 this will not be a problem as we can use
namespaces.

What does this mean?

At this stage it means we allow namespaced attributes from a source
doc to pass through to the output HTML.

Any objections to me making this change?

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - awareness and understanding of open source software
development and use in education
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk