forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] decide the future of forrestdoc
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:47:33 GMT
On 13/07/07, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > >David Crossley wrote:

> > I am fine with this (in fact there is nothing to stop Maven taking the
> > code anyway).
>
> Yes, but better to be clean handover rather than a
> lingering copy. This code has been through many homes,
> so obviously is valuable. We need to have a clear trail.

I agree, I was not suggesting that Maven do this. I meant that if we
do not apply patches in a timely manner Maven will be forced to fork
the code in order to get decent access to it. This is counter to what
the ASF are trying to achieve. Lets give them the code and, if someone
here wants to use it in the future then we work with them on it.

In other words, David and I are saying exactly the same thing.

> I am away for a long long weekend from this afternoon.
> We don't want to hold up Vincent, so if someone feels
> that positive consensus is reached, then please start
> that process to link up with last month's thread from
> him and the Maven people. Otherwise please start a
> Forrest vote for clarification.

As far as I am concerned the general feel is positive at present.
However, we need to leave a little more time to ensure Thorsten is
able to object more strongly if he so desires. An alternative is that
we give Vincent commit access here, however, that would require a
vote.

Vincent, are you reading this thread? If so can you liaise with the
Maven community to see if they would like to accept the code into
their SVN. Be aware that Forrest have not yet decided they will donate
the code (see above), but if Maven don't want it you could save us
some time.

Ross