forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How do you add a link tag?
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 21:01:06 GMT
On 05/07/07, Oshani Seneviratne <oshani@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the FOAF plugin, I was trying to make the FOAF data get
> auto-discovered by a tool like Semantic Radar [1]. To do that, I
> believe there should be a link tag, such as the following, inside the
> head element of the page.
>
> <link rel="meta" type="application/rdf+xml" href="foaf.rdf" />
>
> I could not find any DTD in document-v20 [2] for 'link', so I was
> unable to add it in the xsl which transforms the FOAF into XDoc.
>
> However, I see that some link tags are included (css files for
> example) in the final HTML page generated. But I couldn't figure out
> where those are picked up in the pipeline.
>
> So I would really appreciate any advice on what I should do to get a
> link tag included in a page.

These are added by the skinning system. Using skins there is no easy
way to do this since there is no (easy) way for the skin to know when
it should be adding the link. I'm afraid it is one of the drawbacks of
the skinning system. It is possible, but it is hacky and I don't
recommend going down that route as it will mean having to maintain a
new skin, which we don't want to do.

We could consider adding handling of the link element in XDoc (it is
XHTML2 compat, so is likely to be accepted by the community).

It is much easier if using the dispatcher (see the DOAP plugin for an
example of exactly what you want to do - but only if you want to work
with the dispatcher).

So, do you fancy going with the dispatcher or do you fancy getting
into the internals of Forrest? (or ignore it completely for now, add
an issue to the issue tracker and move on to another requirement).

Ross