forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Sina K. Heshmati" <s...@khakbaz.com>
Subject Type Detection for RDF/XML files
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:35:27 GMT
I'm currently using the following pattern to catch the target files for the SKOS plugin:

<map:match pattern="**skos.xml">
</map:match>

As the pattern suggests, files whose name ends with 'skos.xml' will be processed as SKOS files.
Fine, but how bad is it?

The issue FOR-1005 [1] suggests that the 'sourcetypeaction' mechanism should be used
to determine the type of a file and set actions accordingly. We see in FOR-1018 [2]
that we need to extend our existing implementation of the sourcetypeaction mechanism
to be able to support RDF/XML formats.

One might take an approach similar to bootstrapping, that is:

0. Try to determine the file type by parsing the filename; if failed,
1. Fallback to sourcetypeaction mechanism with a minimum number of tests; if failed,
2. Type left undetermined, that is no actions.

If we decide to parse the filename to determine the type of a file, then we'll need to have
conventions set for each format.

What do you think should be done to determine the type of RDF/XML formats?

SinDoc

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1005
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1018