forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: lost svn history for samples (Was: commit: r556367 [1/2])
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2007 05:09:12 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> From: David Crossley
> >
> > Ooops. You should have used 'svn move'. This has now lost all
> > the svn history for those files.
>
> Welcome back :)
>
> Do you know, I did try and use 'svn move' but it would have
> none of it, several complaints of which I can't remember.

If you have problems when commiting, then please discuss
it with your friends.

> I suppose we could revert back before this commit and then try
> the svn move again ?

Yes please. We connot afford to lose svn history.

If you continue to have trouble, then one of the other
committers will need to help.

> One file doesn't get moved but gets changed
> instead (index.xml) meaning we can't move that directory whole, each file
> would need to be done individually I think.

There is always a way. Perhaps index.xml needs to be copied
and the others moved. Individually perhaps. It is trivial
to create a temporary shell script to do the individual
moves and copies. For example, use 'ls samples > temp.sh'
and vi to edit it into a shell script which performs a
list of 'svn mv' or 'svn cp' commands.

-David