forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: Valid HTML (or not)
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:31:21 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Let me be controversial...
> Forrest should not be concerned with outputting valid HTML

Forrest does not enforce it. So people are already
free to mangle it however they want.

I use various tricks to inject extra elements
into the internal stream, and extra elements and
attributes in invalid input.

We already do refer to the ability to use
non-standard html.

Your proposal goes one step further. Good.

> ---
> Now let me clarify, I'm not talking about a complete free for all. I'm
> talking about conforming to standards where possible, but allowing
> flexibility where necessary. Specifically I am talking about
> additional attributes that are not in HTML.
> Why?
> To create Ajax interfaces we need to have attributes that are not
> valid HTML. For example, my DOAP plugin cannot use Exhibit properly
> because we do not allow arbitrary attributes in our output, such as
> "ex:facets='.category'"
> The future?
> Since we are moving to XHTML2 this will not be a problem as we can use
> namespaces.
> What does this mean?
> At this stage it means we allow namespaced attributes from a source
> doc to pass through to the output HTML.
> Any objections to me making this change?

No objections. Looking forward to it.

View raw message