forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] decide the future of forrestdoc
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 02:00:25 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >David Crossley wrote:

> >> I propose that Forrest ask the Maven project to take the
> >> code as-is over to Maven JXR, then split it up as they see fit.
> >>
> >> What do other Forrest developers think?
> >
> >I understand your reasoning but I do not like that we seem to prefer to
> >give this code away instead to get a grip on it and build a community
> >around it.
> >
> >I am ATM not able to take the lead out of time restrictions
> >but may be somebody else can step up.
> >
> >I am not at all in favor of this proposal.

See the history. We have tried that on various occasions.

Surely we can re-use some of this from Maven
if we want to do something in the future.

> I am fine with this (in fact there is nothing to stop Maven taking the
> code anyway).

Yes, but better to be clean handover rather than a
lingering copy. This code has been through many homes,
so obviously is valuable. We need to have a clear trail.

> It is not being developed here and Vincent has done more work on it in
> the last week than we have in years. I'd rather see the code go where
> it will be developed and maintained rather than sitting idle in our
> repo.
>
> I am in favour of this proposal, assuming Maven want it of course.

That would be the next step. After we are sure
that we want it moved out, then we can formulate
a proposal to Maven.

Sorry, my final "propose" sentence was poorly worded.

I am away for a long long weekend from this afternoon.
We don't want to hold up Vincent, so if someone feels
that positive consensus is reached, then please start
that process to link up with last month's thread from
him and the Maven people. Otherwise please start a
Forrest vote for clarification.

-David