forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] decide the future of forrestdoc
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:17:13 GMT
On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 12:24 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Adding the part "Vincent being an ASF committer expressing he is acting
> > for an ASF community (maven)" is changing a WEE bit the situation.
> >
> > Can't we leverage? For now the scale for people that are sharing
> > interest it is about 2 forrest : 1 maven (and code still in forrest). It
> > is IMO ATM our duty to maintain the code.
>
> It is our duty to maintain the code, I agree. But the "our" in that
> sentence refers to the ASF, not to Forrest. We (Forrest) are not
> maintaining the code, Maven say they want to use and maintain it and,
> more importantly, Vincent is doing it.

As I understand the thread
http://www.nabble.com/Forrestdoc-and-Maven-JXR-tf3864888s177.html they
are still deciding. Reading your words it sounds they already have
consensus they want be the new host.

As I said I am very welcome if maven want the code, they can have it.

> > As soon as we see a wave of patches coming from the maven community we
> > may re think the situation, but for now I do not see the need.
>
> OK, so will you please apply the patches so that Vincent can proceed
> unhindered. (that doesn't mean I won't do so, only that right now I do
> not have the time)

I know that you are on travel, all patches are applied besides
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1024 (see my comment on it!)
from Gavin and me.

We are a community that does not only exist of Ross and David to do the
work (I just finished a similar mail to the user ml). At least I hope
so!

...but please let us apply a realistic time frame for issues, why is
everybody in a hurry this days?

> > > Vincent, are you reading this thread? If so can you liaise with the
> > > Maven community to see if they would like to accept the code into
> > > their SVN. Be aware that Forrest have not yet decided they will donate
> > > the code (see above), but if Maven don't want it you could save us
> > > some time.
> >
> > My question is how many people are interested in maintain/develop the
> > code in the maven community?
>
> I don't know the answer, but I do know it is one more *active*
> committer than in the Forrest community.

If there is a commitment for the code I am all for giving to maven.

Anyway if there is a vote right no I am -0.

Since we are in forrest in a hurry this days.

salu2