forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Outline FOAF plugin
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 15:42:08 GMT
On 07/06/07, Oshani Seneviratne <oshani@apache.org> wrote:

> > > Fantastic, well done Oshani. I will have time to look over this later
> > > today if Gav or someone else does not beat me to it.

> FWIW, I used TortoiseSVN to create the patch, and I trust it do the
> job well because I have not had any problems in creating patches with
> it in the past.

That's your first mistake, using a GUI - never trust the little
beggers (only half joking).

> Anyway, I am really sorry for the extra trouble and the time you
> wasted on going through my patch.

No need to be sorry. People have cleared up after me in the past, this
is just part of the pay back. Besides, knowing that we all makes
mistakes is what makes us willing to clear up after other peoples.
It's only when we don't learn that we need to be sorry (search the
archives for how many times I've not set my SVN line endings correctly
- I'm certainly sorry about that each time ;-)

> > > That is an oversight in the documentation, it would be good if you
> > > could provide a patch to the docs.
> > >
> > > In this case you can add your entry directly to the whiteboard
> > > plugins.xml file as we will certainly be accepting your plugin into
> > > the whiteboard.
> >
> > I've committed this to SVN. It would be really good if you could
> > clarify the documentation for us.
> >

> Glad to do it. Hope changes to the
> FORREST_HOME/site-author/content/xdocs/docs_0_90/howtohowto-buildPlugin.xml
> would do the trick.

Perfect.

> > First observation is that your XDoc returned by
> > http://localhost:8888/personDetails.xml is not a valid XDoc file. For
> > example, it includes <h1> elements which are not valid - see [5].
> >
> > Secondly, it is given the namespace of http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml,
> > which is obviously incorrect. This is because your XSL uses a defaul
> > XHTML namespace.
> >

> Thanks again for spotting these!
> After removing the XHTML namespace the page was rendered properly.
> <h1>s and <h2>s didn't seem to do any harm. Anyway, I will get rid of
> those and use appropriate elements in their place to make it a valid
> xdoc.

They don't do any harm if you are rendering to HTML as these are valid
HTML elements. But try creating, for example, a PDF and you'll see the
harm.

Thanks for your great work (and community engagement) so far.

Ross