forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ivyBuild branch
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:29:09 GMT
On 07/06/07, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
> Brian M Dube wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:

> > >Yeah i was wondering about that too.
> >
> > >Anyway let us postpone that discussion until
> > >next week.
> >
> > How does the switch to Ivy fit with the other things that were discussed
> > to happen right after the release? Is the plan to do this in trunk?
>
> It should be able to be independent of other things,
> as far as i can tell.
>
> I presume that it should be possible to take this
> in small steps:
> Get a basic Ivy setup working, perhaps only managing
> one or two artifacts.
> Get the build and run to use most libs from the
> $FORREST_HOME/lib/* and the others from Ivy.
> Gradually move stuff to be managed by Ivy.
>
> Is that possible? If so then i reckon that we should
> get going in trunk.

Yes, it is possible. I took a different approach in the branch because
I expected to have enough time to finish it, but then others got the
momentum for a release and I moved house/changed jobs, so I stopped
working on it.

Ivy can be used to download the jars into the lib directory for us, so
I would suggest doing that first.

- make a list of all the jars we need
- put that in an issue
- add lib directory to SVN ignore (or maybe just remember not to
commit changes during this process)
- move the ivy config, repository and build scripts into trunk (need
to think about the best way)
- add the first jar from the list to the ivy config
- remove that jar and its license files from the lib folder
- run the build (this should download the jar and put a copy in the
lib folder - put it in our local repo if it isn't available)
- move on to the next jar in the list
- repeat until all jars are retrieved
- remove the lib folder from svn
- modify the build files to use the jars from the local ivy repo cache

Ross