forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: adding extra elements to skinconf
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2007 05:12:06 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Brian M Dube wrote:
> > David Crossley commented on FOR-1013:
> > >
> > >The patch is incomplete.
> > >
> > >See the comments at:
> > > Re: Stop PDF Summary...
> > > http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg02794.html
> > >
> > >New skin parameters need to be added to the default skinconf and XSL and
> > >new DTD. Search the code for another parameter (e.g.
> > >"disable-copyright-footer") to see how it is handled.
> >
> > By default skinconf do you mean the skinconf.xml pipeline, the file in
> > fresh-site, or both?
>
> Both.
>
> The skinconf pipeline and the DTDs and Catalog
> is one side of it.
>
> The other side is to document and demonstrate the
> available features in the fresh-site sample.
>
> Aside: I wonder about using RELAX NG for skinconf.
> I have done some initial investigation, but not yet
> enough to say more.
>
> > ... I don't yet follow how the pipeline adds default
> > values unless it's the skin-specific stylesheet you mean (in the other
> > thread).
>
> It is an interesting pipeline in the way it
> sets up default values. Worth following, as it
> teaches a lot about the sitemap. I wouldn't dare
> try to explain it here :-)

Basically the "skinconf.xml" pipeline in webapp/sitemap.xmap
first does an "upgrade" transformation that modifies
any old parameters if needed, then it looks for a
project-specific skinconf.xsl, then skin-specific,
then skins common, then a special transformer.
Clever.

Additions seem to be only needed if default=true is required
or other default settings.

It is not needed in the case of FOR-1013 and FOR-355.

-David