forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: fixing bugs in trunk or branch
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 07:22:26 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

>Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>>I did not know that the 0.7 branch is the version where we do such
>>>bugfixes.
>>>
>>>Please, do bugfixes in trunk and not in such old branches such as 0.7.
>>>You are the only person that I know that is fixing stuff in an already
>>>released and antique version.
>>>

>>well, I guess there are people still using 0.7 version and for those people
>>it probably makes sense, right? Or how much does it take to upgrade from
>>0.7 to trunk version?
>>

>Not much effort. If they use their own sitemaps or private
>plugins, then there are some tweaks needed. See upgrading doc.
>

>>>It is much more important to fix stuff in trunk!
>>>

>>is the same patch applicable on trunk? It seems to me that Ferdinand wants
>>to apply the same fix to trunk as well as he wrote above or do I
>>misunderstand something?
>>

>I reckon that it is the wrong way around. We should fix
>such bugs in trunk, and then apply the proven and reviewed fix
>to the branch that needed it. Hopefully only the immediate
>past release, but wherever the committer or patch contributor
>needs it.
>
>Doing it in the branch first is dangerous. People would
>be likely to be using it directly in production.
>
>I for one am not keen to fire up a copy of 0.7 just to
>review a fix. I already have a 0.9-dev seed running
>here so it is easier.
>
>We have the forrestbot running every hour on our zone
>server to do continuous testing via the seed-sample.
>It only keeps trunk up-to-date, so does not test any branches.

I understand, but I think it's also important to understand the other side.

If one uses an old version and doesn't have the resources (time, money,
knowledge, functionality,  ...) to upgrade to a newer version
(in the case of Forrest this might be simple, but there is other
software which takes a lot of resources to upgrade
if you customized it and also be aware "simple" is always relative),
then it makes a lot of sense to fix this older version.

I think it's important that devs are understanding this.

Again just my 2 cents

Michi

--
Michael Wechner