forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Brainstorming] 0.9 release
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:43:31 GMT
On 28/04/07, Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
> to have a quick release let us start early to plan and have a well
> defined feature list.

I agree in principle, but I'm not sure how active I will be on 0.9. We
are using Forrest again (hurrah!), but there are issues with it that
may see us going in a different direction as the project matures (see
my original RT thread prior to 0.8 relase). I'll be addressing these
issues by resurecting my RT once I have come good on my promise for a
release management proposal. This proposal will incorporate a proposal
for parallel development on 1.0 and 2.0.

> I think this three points can be done before the end of the year where
> we should release 0.9.

Bahh!!! 6 months is too long. We should be aiming for 0.9 in 3 months
tops. The Ivy build will not take long, we can then do integration
testing on updated jars, bug fixes from 0.8 and issues we don't want
to roll over again (see Davids mail in this thread) will be sufficient
for a 0.9 release.

We need a much faster release cycle every three months at least. Don't
worry I'm going to be proposing a more streamlined release process
which includes:

- more automation
- more automated testing
- stable and unstable releases (just like Linux Kernel or Apache HTTPD)

One more note, dispatcher is a plugin so it has an independent
lifecycle and 0.9 should not be dependent on it. I am in favour of it
coming out of whiteboard but not the 0.9 release being dependent on
that happening.

Ross