forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler" <>
Subject Re: Why did we take so long for 0.8?
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:32:59 GMT
On 28/04/07, David Crossley <> wrote:
> Need at least one individual to put in the
> effort to make it happen: encouraging the
> community to either attend to crucial issues [1]
> or delay them or find workarounds; proposing
> the Release Plan; being the Release Manager;
> attempting to motivate the community.
> Need more developers to be involved, not just
> during the final testing phase, but also in
> the lead-up preparation phase. Don't expect
> the few active committers to do it. Those
> people have their own time constraints too.
> [1]

All true. Or to put it another way, have developers who are not
continually distracted by new shiny features that end up unfinished
and therefore create more issues that need fixing before a release is

Also, be willing to release versions that are not yet fully complete.
That is, they have some unfinished functionality - but that unfinished
functionality is clearly identified. If users hit these limitations
they are more likely to assist with development.

In other words, exactly what I said in my blog post.

(NB my release management proposal, when I find time to write it will
contain a method for managing this)

View raw message