forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Brian M Dube <brian.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Skin plugin
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:32:24 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 07:17 -0500, Brian M Dube wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>>> I am not yet clear about your main aim. Is it to move
>>> the existing functionality out of the core and leave it
>>> at that (a legacy system)? Or is it to create a framework
>>> as described above which would enable future development
>>> of skins functionality as well as dispatcher.
>> If community support of skins is questionable, then a flexible framework
>> seems to me the way to go.
>>

> I do not see the need nor the work force to have to different
> skinning/theming frameworks.
>
> I see the dispatcher as successor of skins which should be moved to a
> plugin, but not 2 different frameworks.

With skins moved to plugin(s) there will still be the choice of
frameworks, but I don't see the need for a parent framework to manage
this choice. You could simply add the required plugins for the rendering
method you want. And this could even be a new method in addition to
skins and dispatcher.

>>> Not sure what to do about the different skins.
>>> There would be a similar discussion in the archives about
>>> when the Dispatcher work established the f.a.o.themes.core
>>> plugin.
>>> Let us continue to express our needs for a little
>>> while on this dev list, before launching into the
>>> actual development.
>> Fair enough. For one of my projects I tested a modification to the
>> Forrest build files that leaves out (unused) skin resources when
>> building dispatcher sites. It would be great if this case is handled
>> when skins move out of core.
>
> Regarding this files they should be provided by the plugin itself in the
> jar.
>
> I can help a wee bit but my time is limited ATM since my 2 girls are 3
> days old.

Congratulations.

Brian