forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Eclipse and forrest.
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:32:43 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> I downloaded the latest Eclipse all-in-one package [1] that contains
> everything we need.

> 1. Workspace, do you point to the forrest trunk as your workspace or
> somewhere standalone.

That's up to you. I'll tell you my setup - that works for me.

I have all public source code in:

Inside there I have loads of project folders, the forrest ones are:

My eclipse workbench is set at

I then use "working sets" to narrow down the projects I see at any one
time (see eclipse help docs for that, but if you only have a handful of
projects then you don't need to worry about it).

If you already have the sources checked out into your workbench folder
then simply  create a new project in your workbench and give the new
project the same name as the existing folder, i.e. "forrest-trunk".
Eclipse will spot there is already src here and work through an import
wizard with your.

> 2. Do you use the subclipse plugin to use SVN, if not, how do you keep
> Eclipse upto date with trunk.

Subclipse is OK for updating from SVN, but I don't like it for
committing changes. It seems to get all tied up in knots far too often
and the GUI makes it too easy to make mistakes.

I use subclipse to update and for working with diffs, but I've switched
back to using the command line for committing.

> 3. Do you use it without the forrest eclipse plugin to debug & work with
> forrest or with -- as far as I can see the forrest plugin only does a few
> simple actions -- but then I still haven't got that part working yet.

No. The eclipse plugin is unmaintained and the project I created it for
is now dead (well, they claim to be active but there has been no public
activity for years).

I have plans in this direction, but that is for post release discussion.

> 4. Do you build your projects using eclipse.

No, I use the command line for that, you could though.

If you promise to document this (however roughly), I promise to carry on
asking your questions.

> [1] -
> 48/

View raw message