forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Welcome to Apche Forrest as part of GSoC
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:56:11 GMT
I'd like to welcome Oshani Wasana Seneviratne and Sina Khakbaz Heshmati
to Apache Forrest as part of this years Google Summer of Code (GSoC).

The GSoC is unusual as a community building device in that there is an
external incentive for contribution (i.e. cash they won't get unless
they contribute). Nevertheless, others are here because they have some
external incentive. For me, it is a small part of my day job and hence I
too get paid to be here, ranted, I tend to be here quite alot out of
office hours too - but that's because I've learnt what a great thing
community driven software is. It is therefore the job of existing
community members to try and teach the value of community development to
  Oshani and Sina.

So, the first thing to learn about community development is there should
be no private discussion regarding the project. Therefore, this is the
last email I will send to either of your private addresses. You both
need to subscribe to the relevant mailing lists [1] and reply to this
mail once you are subscribed.

Note, mails about GSoC can be sent privately to your mentor if you prefer

Officially GSoC does not start until next month. However, Apache Forrest
really could use your help right now. We have a release candidate being
tested for release. Having you install and test it, along with the rest
of the community, would be great. If you have time and inclination
please let us know on the dev list and we'll point you to the right

What to do next?

The first thing you need to do is get to grips with the way we do things
around here. A good place to start is [2].

Please do not be shy. We understand you are new to Forrest and our
development model. We were all new to it once. Please ask questions, we
will answer as fully as time allows (often pointing at docs for you to
read as background).

It would be *really* helpful if you could start writing a FAQ about
getting started as a Forrest developer (perhaps your first question
would be how - or perhaps you can find it in our docs, it is there ;-)

Finally, you are here to enjoy yourselves, so have fun!

Ross and Gavin
GSoC Mentors for Apache Forrest

View raw message