forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [headsup] recent change in broken link handling
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 08:56:29 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> The handling of broken site: links has recently changed.
>
> It used to report the link as BROKEN in the site build
> and write its details to the broken-links.xml file.
>
> Now it generates a file called error_site_$linkname
> with the "No pipeline matched request:" info inside it.
>
> I wonder if it is related to the recent change in
> error handling for the locationmap.

I think it probably is a side effect of the error handling. And not (in
its current form) a good one.

I'm guessing it happens because now, when there is an error, Cocoon
traps it and creates a file describing the error. The crawler must be
treating this as a proper page.

So, before the code freeze we need to decide what to do:

1) revert the error handling which will give us meaningless locationmap
errors, but will give a meaningful broken-links.xml file

2) Improve the generated error page to be more user friendly and show
the error in a graceful way, this will make the user experience better
if a broken site is deployed, but will make the admins job harder

3) A mix of 1) and 2) in which we generate a nice user error page and we
use the SourceWritingTransformer to provide meaningful output for the admin.

4) ?

Thoughts?

Ross