forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Skin plugin
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:57:30 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> > > I do not see the need nor the work force to have to different
> > > skinning/theming frameworks.
> > >
> > > I see the dispatcher as successor of skins which should be moved to a
> > > plugin, but not 2 different frameworks.
> >
> > Hang on. Last time that we talked about this,
> > we were quite clear that skins could remain.
>
> As I understood as legacy code. We will maintain it but not extend it.

It sounds like you have not re-read the previous
discussion.

We arrived at a solution and documented it at
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/status-themes.html
"... This would enable any theme engine to be used,
whether that be Skins or Dispatcher or some other."

> Like Brain states "community support of skins is questionable", see the
> mail from Cyriaque.

You missed the important "If" at the beginning of
Brian's words. It seems to be too early to determine
the situation.

> IMO new development regarding skinning should be conducted in the
> dispatcher. Actually upcoming 0.9 will switch to dispatcher as default
> theming engine if I recall correctly.

I for one am not yet convinced that Dispatcher
should be the only solution. I find it to be very
complex. As you said in the previous discussion
that i linked to above.

> > > Regarding this files they should be provided by the plugin itself in the
> > > jar.
> >
> > Some of these resources are copying the potential
> > project-based things like images and css
>
> Images if not skin/dispatcher related that reside in the project are not
> copied (better said should not, that is the copyless approach we
> follow). Actually, all images and css should not be copied anymore at
> all, having the locationmap now!

Oh sure. However you were indicating that they should
be "provided by the plugin itself" which is not true.

> All targets copying one resource to another location have to be reviewed
> and removed if they can be done with the locationmap. Meaning removing
> skin related copying forces us to use the locationmap instead in the
> skin plugin.
>
> When we added skin support we did not had the lm and used good old ant
> for moving files to a common location to better resolve them. This
> always violated the copyless approach.
>
> See FOR-809, FOR-986, FOR-987, ...
>
> > , so they would
> > not be provided by the plugin.
>
> Some css and image are coming from the plugin as fallback where for skins the fallback
order is as follow:
> - project skin
> - project common skin
> - plugin skin
> - plugin common skin
>
> This assumes the current structure of
> skins/
> |-- common
> |   |-- css
> |   |   `-- forrest.css.xslt
> |   |-- images
> |   |   `-- ...
> |-- pelt
> |   |-- css
> |   |   |-- basic.css
> |   |   |-- ...
> |   |   `-- screen.css
> |   |-- images
> |   |   |-- chapter.gif
>
> for plugin and project.
>
> > See the messages towards
> > the end of 'forrest site' just before Cocoon starts.
>
> Yeah, all not needed if the locationmap is be used to resolve such resources.

Which shows that there is quite a lot of work
to move the skins stuff out of the core.
Yes the locationmap will help immensely.

-David