forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [headsup] recent change in broken link handling
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2007 00:47:48 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:

> >>1) revert the error handling which will give us meaningless locationmap
> >>errors, but will give a meaningful broken-links.xml file
> >>
> >>2) Improve the generated error page to be more user friendly and show
> >>the error in a graceful way, this will make the user experience better
> >>if a broken site is deployed, but will make the admins job harder
> >>
> >>3) A mix of 1) and 2) in which we generate a nice user error page and we
> >>use the SourceWritingTransformer to provide meaningful output for the
> >>admin.
> >>
> >>4) ?
> >>
> >>Thoughts?
> >
> >Dunno.
> >
> >Better locationmap error messages are more important,
> >because that can be complex to debug.
>
> As others have noted, I personally feel that broken-links.xml is more
> important. The locationmap can be debugged if you know what you are
> doing. So this will become a user support issue until we can patch the
> locationmap (see my reply to Thorsten).

It frightens me that in such a small community
we are creating a user support issue.

The FAQ/Tutorial suggested below will be very important.

> >Perhaps a way out for now is to describe the issue
> >in Jira, add a note to the upgrading_08.html doc, and
> >add to the end of the "site" ant target to scan the
> >build directory to list any error_site_* files.
> >
> >That is not as good as the previous broken link handling
> >because it doesn't list the referring pages.
>
> Which, for me is very important.

Definitely. We would need to find another way to do it.

> I've just commented out the relevant match in our root sitemap to
> restore the old behaviour before the code freeze. I think we ought to
> document the bad locationmap error message in the upgrading doc, along
> with a hint on debugging via the locationmap logs (set the log level to
> debug in logkit.xml), and a pointer to the mail lists for assistance.
> (for now I've put a one line warning, better than nothing but needs
> improving since reading the locationmap logs is not easy - I'm going to
> bed now, sorry)

Would someone who knows the locationmap please
add a decent FAQ and a note to upgrading_08.html
and a Jira Issue.

> If someone manages to change the way the locationmap works and get it to
> throw a proper error before the code freeze then we can reinstate the
> error trapping. Otherwise we'll do it in the next release (which will
> not be so long in the making - we can discuss that after the release).

There is a bit under three days to go.

-David