forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [headsup] recent change in broken link handling
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2007 00:42:37 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> ><map:when test="resourceNotFound">
> >
> >That is the puppy. I ran into the broken link issue the other day and
> >was surprised that my build was successful with 0 pages build.
> >
> >Actually the resourceNotFound is the only exception we do not want to
> >catch (see broken links).
> >
> >Meaning as quick fix to not loose the whole error handling nor broken
> >links we need to catch all exception *except* resourceNotFound and
> >change the resource not found exception in the lm to a specific
> >locationMap exception.
> >
> >Than we get back the broken links and have a "nicer" error handling.
> >
> >wdyt?
>
> Unfortunately, it's not that simple. We can't spot when the locationmap
> returns null to the sitemap hence we can't trap this and throw a
> different exception from the locationmap. At least not with the current
> implementation.
>
> The following is from memory of how Tim explained things - can't find
> the mails in the archive.
>
> The locationmap returns a null if no entry is found. But the way the
> locationmap mounting works we have no way of knowing if there is another
> map to check after the current one. Hence we don't know when a null from
> a single locationmap means a null from all locationmaps.

Perhaps at the beginning of the next stage of processing
could something test if the reference is still unresolved.

> Now, I'm sure this can be worked around. But it is a bank holiday here
> in the UK so don't expect me to find loads of time to address this, it's
> a family weekend. I post this for information in case someone else has time.

Yeah this is a bit of a worry for the Release Plan.
I was a little concerned about the Easter holidays overlap.
Nobody expressed concern during the vote.

Hopefully for some others it is a chance to sneak off
to contribute a bit.

On the other hand we should have people's attention
next week and weekend.

-David