forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <>
Subject Re: Skin plugin
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 21:35:20 GMT
On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 07:17 -0500, Brian M Dube wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > I am not yet clear about your main aim. Is it to move
> > the existing functionality out of the core and leave it
> > at that (a legacy system)? Or is it to create a framework
> > as described above which would enable future development
> > of skins functionality as well as dispatcher.
> If community support of skins is questionable, then a flexible framework
> seems to me the way to go.

I do not see the need nor the work force to have to different
skinning/theming frameworks.

I see the dispatcher as successor of skins which should be moved to a
plugin, but not 2 different frameworks.

> > Not sure what to do about the different skins.
> > There would be a similar discussion in the archives about
> > when the Dispatcher work established the f.a.o.themes.core
> > plugin.
> > Let us continue to express our needs for a little
> > while on this dev list, before launching into the
> > actual development.
> Fair enough. For one of my projects I tested a modification to the
> Forrest build files that leaves out (unused) skin resources when
> building dispatcher sites. It would be great if this case is handled
> when skins move out of core.

Regarding this files they should be provided by the plugin itself in the

I can help a wee bit but my time is limited ATM since my 2 girls are 3
days old.

Thorsten Scherler