forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Content of release
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:58:41 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> re: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-911 "decide content of release"
>>
>> I started trying to summarise the threads linked in the above issue, but
>> can't be bothered (sorry - I'm having one of those mornings where I am
>> prioritising very heavily).
>>
>> Instead I am going to make a proposal:
>
> Good. I was preparing to make a very similar proposal.
>
>> We release everything just as we have in the past except we strip
>> everything but the plugins out of the whiteboard directory ...
>
> In the 0.7 release we didn't include any whiteboard plugins
> and nothing else from the whiteboard directory. So such
> plugins were always downloaded from the website (if published)
> and otherwise people who wanted to use whiteboard stuff
> would be developers and so need to checkout SVN trunk.
>
> We did include both the plugins descriptor and the whiteboard
> plugins descriptor. Following the partial fix FOR-533
> "Auto Generate plugins.xml entry" are these still needed?
> If so then we need to update them to be synchronised with
> the autogenerated list.
>
> The other thing that was included was whiteboard/plugins/build.xml

OK, my memory is faulty. lets do the same again, but, there is a problem...

Because of the cange I made for generating plugins.xml entries from
build.xml files, if we strip the plugin src we also strip the plugins
from the list.

I propose that I revert that change and come back to it in 0.9 to enable
the release as David describes it.

>> ... and we strip
>> everything but jetty, ant, forrestbot and forrest bar out of tools
>
> I agree.
>
> The other things are "tools/dtdconverters" which may be needed
> by our build system. I will check.
>
> And "tools/xxe" which i reckon should be included. It was
> included last time and is minimal.

+1

> What about "tools/anttasks" this seems to be a relic of
> a previous Cocoon xconf technique. It only has a Java
> class file which may have been accidently committed.

I see that it is me that committed it, but being back on 2005 I cannot
remember its purpose. Looking at the commit message I think it was a
part of the work I did to allow plugins to add stuff to Cocoon config.
This mechanism is no longer used, since we use blocks.

It's not references from anywhere.

So, I say we build the release candidate without it. If this passes our
tests we can remove this file from SVN.

Ross