forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release Plan for Forrest 0.80
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:51:14 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> If people have concerns about the dates then please speak up
> otherwise please vote on this Release Plan.
>
> One reason for doing a vote is to ensure that it is the
> PMC as a whole that prepares and issues the release, rather
> than an individual. Such procedures give us the protection
> accorded by the ASF being a corporation.
>
> Another reason is to draw attention to it and get as
> many people involved as possible, including developers.
>
> According to our guidelines,
> http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#actions
> "A lazy majority vote requires
> 3 binding +1 votes and more binding +1 votes than -1 votes".
>
> As usual anyone is encouraged to vote, just the votes
> of PMC members are binding.
>
> According to the plan below:
> [1] end of vote on Release Plan
> Monday 2007-04-01 at 22:00 UTC
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=02&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

Drat, nobody noticed the mistakes. Of course [1] is Monday 2007-04-02
and the URL for [4] was wrong ...

[1] end of vote on Release Plan
Monday 2007-04-02 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=02&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

> David Crossley wrote:
> > Here is my proposal for the Release Plan. If people have any
> > concerns with the plan, then please raise them ASAP.
> >
> > After a chance to discuss it (e.g. perhaps different dates,
> > or Java version, etc.) we will vote on this Release Plan.
> >
> > Please check with your time schedules and comment. We want to
> > have as many people available as possible to test the release
> > candidate. So we can adjust the time schedule a bit to suit.
> >
> > For background info on this step and on the release process
> > in general, see
> > http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#PrepRelPlan
> >
> > ------------------------
> > Proposed Java version to test this release is Java 1.4
> >
> > ------------------------
> > The phases are:
> >
> > Voting to accept the Release Plan ends on Monday 2007-04-01 at 22:00 UTC [1].

Voting to accept the Release Plan ends on Monday 2007-04-02 at 22:00 UTC [1].

> > Code freeze and testing starts on Monday 2007-04-09 at 22:00 UTC [2].
> >
> > We create the release candidates for both Windows and UNIX on
> > this day and start the testing. Don't bother voting until towards
> > the end of the week, because we might need a new release candidate
> > and the vote needs to happen against the actual final packages.
> >
> > During "code freeze" we cannot add any new functionality or
> > non-essential work, just bug fixes and documentation tweaks [5].
> >
> > If any changes have been made during the week, then we create
> > another set of release candidates on Saturday 2007-04-14 at 22:00 UTC [3]
> > to give people time to verify the signatures and checksums and to do
> > final tests. Between now and the release date there must no changes
> > to SVN. If any are absolutely necessary, then we delay the release date
> > and do another set of release candidates.
> >
> > Actual release date is Monday 2007-04-16 at 22:00 UTC [4] then wait
> > for the mirrors to receive it before sending the announcements.
> >
> > ------------------------
> > The proposed milestones are:

[1] end of vote on Release Plan
Monday 2007-04-02 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=02&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

[2] create initial release candidate, start testing
Monday 2007-04-09 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=09&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

[3] create final release candidate
Saturday 2007-04-14 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=14&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

[4] end of vote on final release candidate and commence the upload phase
Monday 2007-04-16 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=16&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

[5] Code freeze is defined here
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/announce_code_freeze.txt