forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] Release Plan for Forrest 0.80
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:51:27 GMT
Here is my proposal for the Release Plan. If people have any
concerns with the plan, then please raise them ASAP.

After a chance to discuss it (e.g. perhaps different dates,
or Java version, etc.) we will vote on this Release Plan.

Please check with your time schedules and comment. We want to
have as many people available as possible to test the release
candidate. So we can adjust the time schedule a bit to suit.

For background info on this step and on the release process
in general, see
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#PrepRelPlan

------------------------
Proposed Java version to test this release is Java 1.4

------------------------
The phases are:

Voting to accept the Release Plan ends on Monday 2007-04-01 at 22:00 UTC [1].

Code freeze and testing starts on Monday 2007-04-09 at 22:00 UTC [2].

We create the release candidates for both Windows and UNIX on
this day and start the testing. Don't bother voting until towards
the end of the week, because we might need a new release candidate
and the vote needs to happen against the actual final packages.

During "code freeze" we cannot add any new functionality or
non-essential work, just bug fixes and documentation tweaks [5].

If any changes have been made during the week, then we create
another set of release candidates on Saturday 2007-04-14 at 22:00 UTC [3]
to give people time to verify the signatures and checksums and to do
final tests. Between now and the release date there must no changes
to SVN. If any are absolutely necessary, then we delay the release date
and do another set of release candidates.

Actual release date is Monday 2007-04-16 at 22:00 UTC [4] then wait
for the mirrors to receive it before sending the announcements.

------------------------
The proposed milestones are:

[1] end of vote on Release Plan
Monday 2007-04-01 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=02&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

[2] create initial release candidate, start testing
Monday 2007-04-09 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=09&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

[3] create final release candidate
Saturday 2007-04-14 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=14&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

[4] end of vote on final release candidate and commence the upload phase
Monday 2007-04-16 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=15&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

[5] Code freeze is defined here
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/announce_code_freeze.txt

------------------------
I will be the Release Manager and am happy to do the process by myself.
This makes it easier for me. However, it is important to pass on
knowledge, so perhaps someone does want to assist. Otherwise we can
soon do a 0.9 release and do that then.

In any case, it needs someone to create the Windows packages.
See http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html
for general background and specifically the
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#BuildDist
at Steps 11 to 14.

Depending on where this person is situated, we might need to adjust
the time of day for the milestones.

------------------------
There are a number of fixme notes in the "How_to_release" doc.

Two that definitely need to be attended to are: deciding the
content of the release and reviewing the procedure for releasing
the plugins. Those can be attended to in the time leading up
to the code freeze.

The other fixme notes are about an alternative method, i.e.
creating a release branch early, rather than working with trunk.
I prefer to not attempt this at this late stage. I know that
the current procedure of releasing from trunk works.

After this we will have a better idea and can perhaps attempt
that for the 0.9 release.

-David