forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2007 09:09:54 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> From: David Crossley
> >
> > > ------------------------
> > > FOR-865 Add missing entries to status.xml to generate the changes list
> > > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-865
> > >
> > > Still need to review ...
> >
> > I have done a heap a while ago. Since then i noticed a few
> > entries being added but more new work needs to be mentioned.
> >
> > See "svn log status.xml" for date of last effort and
> > browse forward in the mailing lists (dev and svn) to
> > find more that should be mentioned.
>
> The last entry was for 19/09/2006. I have never updated this file, I will
> take a look but may miss a few because I need to work out what is regarded
> as major enough to be here.

Up to the person doing the job to decide. Look at past entries
for example. Think from the point-of-view of an outside person
and what they need to be alerted to.

> > > ... and move some out into each plugin.
> >
> > Still needs doing.
>
> So plugin specific changes should not be here at all?

Correct.

> > > Need to ensure each new plugin is mentioned in top-level status file.
> >
> > Still needs doing.
> >
> > > Also need to set the importance attribute for some entries so that
> > > they show up in our release notes.
> >
> > Still needs doing.
> >
> > Patches welcome.
>
> So all entries need to be of a certain importance to warrant being there is
> the first place. From this list then we need to filter out the cream of the
> crop that made the most difference ? What level of importance gets shown up
> in the release notes?

That is described in FOR-865 ... importance=high

See also http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#prep
which gives the URL for automatically generating an announcement.
This gets hand tweaked to make the real one.

Also, there are notes related to some of the important ones
in /docs_0_80/upgrading_08.html

> > > ------------------------
> > > FOR-765 forrest war and classpath issues with Jetty
> > > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-765
> > >
> > > Same as last time.
> > > Ask again for people to try a WAR archive.
> >
> > Default config seems okay with Jetty 6 and Java 5.
>
> So what do we do here, create/update some docs to say to upgrade to
> latest Java, Latest Jetty (and Tomcat 6??) then close the issue.?

As part of the release process we need to decide the base
Java version. So perhaps this will be a factor. Can anyone
confirm the suitability of Java 1.4?

> > ------------------------
> > FOR-960 PNG Images not transparent in IE6 or below
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-960
> >
> > This one is a new addition to the roadmap.
>
> And this has always been an issue really, just not added to Jira until
> recently. I had suggested that using the MS proprietry AlphaImageLoader
> would cure the problem - which it would, but need to do other changes to
> get to that point. I am also thinking there may be another way of doing
> it.
>
> I will see about getting on with this again soon (I had a bit of an attempt
> last week/week before). I don't think it is important enough to keep on
> the 0.8 roadmap and hold up a release so if I don't get it done then we can
> certainly delay until 0.9.

There are many issues that would be "nice to do". Quite some
time ago we started pushing all non-essential issues over
to 0.9-dev. People can still work on those if they want to.
See http://forrest.apache.org/issues.html#filters
FOR-unscheduled and also the 0.9 Jira Road Map.

-David