forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 07:24:26 GMT
What is that rumbling sound? Seems like action towards a release.
Lets try to catch the train this time.

We need the help of the whole development community.
There are over 130 of us.
http://people.apache.org/~coar/mlists.html#forrest.apache.org

You don't need to be a committer to help.

Please review Jira issues and comment, suggest fixes,
improve vital documentation, and do testing.

The next step is to refine the list of scheduled issues
one final time. See below.

My next task is to propose a Release Plan to outline the
procedure and settle on specific dates for each stage.
Then we will vote on that. Being so explicit is good. It focusses
attention and encourages people to get involved. It should be
a fun and rewarding event for all to deliver a good product
that we can later use.

Anyway, let us now review the issues again.
When we reach a certain date in the Release Plan,
any remaining scheduled issues will just get their
Fix-Version attribute bumped to 0.9-dev
So let us do what we can until then.

Nov 08, 2006 David Crossley wrote:
> Wow, another four months have flown by since last time
> that we tried to narrow down the list of issues.

Wow, again :-)

> All developers can assist with this, don't leave it to
> the committers. If you want to see the 0.8 release then
> please help.

;-) ;-)

http://forrest.apache.org/issues.html#filters
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12310820

With recent efforts that is now down to 15 ... hooray.

> The main reason for the reduction is that last time we decided
> to delay some issues. A little progress has also been made with
> some other things.
>
> I have added some comments below to explain the status of each.
> When it is the same as last time, then i tried to summarise
> previous comments.
>
> I have tried to identify some that can be moved over to 0.9-dev.
>
> Many issues seem to be the same as last time, even though they
> only require some simple documentation. Please help.

Recent efforts have helped a lot. Thanks.

> ------------------------
> FOR-855 verify the license situation prior to each release
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-855
>
> Because we let the release slip past the cut-off date 1 November,
> we now need to fully meet the new policy. Main job is to organise
> the license files for supporting products and refer to them.
> See Cliff's doc linked from FOR-855.

I will take that one on.

> ------------------------
> FOR-865 Add missing entries to status.xml to generate the changes list
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-865
>
> Still need to review ...

I have done a heap a while ago. Since then i noticed a few
entries being added but more new work needs to be mentioned.

See "svn log status.xml" for date of last effort and
browse forward in the mailing lists (dev and svn) to
find more that should be mentioned.

> ... and move some out into each plugin.

Still needs doing.

> Need to ensure each new plugin is mentioned in top-level status file.

Still needs doing.

> Also need to set the importance attribute for some entries so that
> they show up in our release notes.

Still needs doing.

Patches welcome.

> ------------------------
> FOR-868 add relevant notes to the "Upgrading" xdoc
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-868
>
> Needs attention.

Some work has been done, but probably needs more.

> ------------------------
> FOR-533 Auto Generate plugins.xml entry
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-533
>
> Same as last time.
> Ross explained what needs to happen and suggested we do this for 0.8

Recent progress is being made.

> ------------------------
> FOR-639 define terminology for the various aspects of Dispatcher
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-639
>
> Same as last time.
> A doc has been started. We need more content.

This one was taken off the roadmap. However,
it would be great if this was done because it will
save a lot of confusion on the mailing list, because
people are sure to be using it.

> Perhaps we just need a document to describe how to use Forrest as a web application.

There is a patch provided. Can someone investigate.

> ------------------------
> FOR-742 trouble accessing unversioned plugin for a released version of Forrest, e.g.
projectInfo
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-742
>
> Perhaps this can be closed. Cyriaque and Ross seem happy.

We will probably only be sure after we have done the release.

> ------------------------
> FOR-241 character entities (e.g. ampersand) are expanded again for href or src attributes
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-241
>
> Suggest delay until 0.9 as the issue has been around for a long time.

Ditto.

> ------------------------
> FOR-765 forrest war and classpath issues with Jetty
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-765
>
> Same as last time.
> Ask again for people to try a WAR archive.

Default config seems okay with Jetty 6 and Java 5.

> ------------------------
> FOR-911 decide content of release
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-911
>
> Need to investigate the linked mails and make a Proposal.

I will work on that one after getting the Release Plan done.

Will probably be similar size and packaging to
last time, sorry. Next release we hope to use Ivy.

> ------------------------
> FOR-922 update all docs that explain sitemap fragments
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-922
>
> Reasonably simple documentation job. Find all docs that give sitemap examples
> and ensure that they are current.

We have a "warning" workaround. However there is still
time before the release for someone to patch these docs.

> ------------------------
> FOR-731 empty linkmap.html document, side-effect of workaround to FOR-675
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-731
>
> Same as last time.
> Investigate.

As Gav suggests, move to 0.9-dev.

> ------------------------
> FOR-861 Update locationmap docs for working with remote files
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-861
>
> Same as last time.
> Should be a simple documentation job. Ross provides the references.

Anyone can help.

> ------------------------
> FOR-644 code-style cleanup for xml files
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-644
>
> This should be able to be done just prior to release.
> We had delayed this, but i reckon that it is worth trying.

I will attempt it straight after the code freeze starts.

Need to work out an Ant target for a postfix to re-insert the
removed space after inline closing tags (or maybe Tidy is fixed).
Recently i noticed Cyriaque using a regexp replacement task,
perhaps that will work for this.

Everyone please get your changes contributed before that.
Includes xml docs, configuration files, sitemaps, XSLs, etc.

> ------------------------
> FOR-635 images not reproduced in PDFs, if sources are in xdocs/images directory
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-635
>
> Gavin did some investigation. It is complex.
> Suggest delay until 0.9-dev

?

FOR-960 PNG Images not transparent in IE6 or below
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-960

This one is a new addition to the roadmap.

-David