forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A rethink of the Ivy migration
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:27:05 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> So, should we continue with managing our own dependencies or should we
> jump the short term hurdle and get the ivy branch working with Cocoon
> 2.2 snapshots?

So far i like your plan.

It would need some Forrest people with serious Java skills
to do it. There is more than just the CLI to deal with.
Carsten recently gave us some tips on this dev list about
how to proceed.

There are some issues.

See the comments on [1] http://people.apache.org/builds.html
about the "Snapshot Repositories".
Particlarly: "...but should not be referenced in released
versions of your Apache project."

One thing is that Cocoon-2.2 will probably be properly
released soon. We can help to move that forward.

Another thing is that the Forrest project has decided
in the past that it is okay to use snapshot versions.
Not sure if that is a wise or well-informed decision.
It seemed not too bad because Forrest committers were
making deliberate decisions about that and checking the
license issues for every product in our lib/* etc.
Now with handing off dependency management, things would
be different.

Also not sure what are ASF principles (beyond the new
document listed [1]) about using pre-released versions
of supporting software.

On a related matter, i was liking our new approach to
managing our own dependencies. Having an Ivy descriptor
for each product enabled us to clearly describe each,
say where its home, what its license is, and link to
a jar in a maven repo. Nice.

But it is more work.

-David