forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r520650 - in /forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins: org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.doap/ org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/ org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.solr/ org.apache.forrest.themes.core/themes/common/fo/ org.apache.forrest....
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:31:24 GMT
On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 12:07 +0100, Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> le 21/03/2007 11:09 Thorsten Scherler a écrit :
> > Hmm, since we decided to change the name of tiles to panels (see the
> > thread on dev) I did expect that this commit would have addressed this
> > issue as well.
> >
> > Let me explain why the commit is not really how we want it.
> >
> > On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 15:50 +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >> Why is common-fo.vt.xml in html directory rather than the fo directory?
> >>

> > This should go into the "panels" directory of the theme directory since
> > it is an "old" tiles.
> >
> > Panels do not care which contracts they contain. Meaning that for
> > internal processing in the dispatcher pelt-css.vt.xml will not be
> > treated different then common-fo.vt.xml.
> >
> > The fo/css in the naming only shows which aggregation of contract and
> > hook (in short panel) are addressed.
> >
> > Panels do not belong in the html nor in the fo nor in css nor in ....
> > directory but in a directory on its on like e.g.
> > themes/pelt/panels
> > themes/common/panels
> >
> Humm, I agree with the definition of panels and with the fact that vt
> should be changed.
> I don't see the benefit to store them in a specific directory, because I
> have no example where a panel can be used for two different formats.

One can think of one, but you have a point that panels are likely to be
format dependent in their usage (not by definition).

> Why don't we name them with the .panel extension and store them in the
> format directory ?

Imagine you have a bigger side and have heaps of panels, don't you think
that keeping them in the root folder of a theme (e.g. theme/common) can
become pretty messy?

> If we look at the css common directory we have a mix of different kind
> of files :
> theme/common/css
>   |-- basic.css                           (a real source file to be used
> as it is)
>   |-- branding-generic-css.ft      (a contract...)
>   |-- ...
>   |-- profiling.css.xslt                 (a stylesheet - which I'm not
> sure is very useful...)
>   |-- ...
>
> It doesn't strike me to have panels in there :
>   |-- common.panel

That mean we would introduce another extension that we need to add to
the svn configs. I would rather use *.panel.xml.

wdyt?

salu2

Open Source Java & XML                consulting, training and solutions