forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: [Vote] Release Plan for Forrest 0.80
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:13:28 GMT

The above was first posted Sunday, now the vote, was this enough time
to discuss things (is this the norm)? - I got here after 0.7 release.

> > > Please check with your time schedules and comment. We want to
> > > have as many people available as possible to test the release
> > > candidate. So we can adjust the time schedule a bit to suit.

Time schedule is ok with me.

> > > For background info on this step and on the release process
> > > in general, see
> > >
> http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#PrepRelPl
> an
> > >
> > > ------------------------
> > > Proposed Java version to test this release is Java 1.4
> > >
> > > ------------------------
> > > The phases are:
> > >
> > > Voting to accept the Release Plan ends on Monday 2007-04-01 at 22:00
> UTC [1].
>
> Voting to accept the Release Plan ends on Monday 2007-04-02 at 22:00 UTC
> [1].
>
> > > Code freeze and testing starts on Monday 2007-04-09 at 22:00 UTC [2].
> > >
> > > We create the release candidates for both Windows and UNIX on
> > > this day and start the testing. Don't bother voting until towards
> > > the end of the week, because we might need a new release candidate
> > > and the vote needs to happen against the actual final packages.
> > >
> > > During "code freeze" we cannot add any new functionality or
> > > non-essential work, just bug fixes and documentation tweaks [5].
> > >
> > > If any changes have been made during the week, then we create
> > > another set of release candidates on Saturday 2007-04-14 at 22:00 UTC
> [3]
> > > to give people time to verify the signatures and checksums and to do
> > > final tests. Between now and the release date there must no changes
> > > to SVN. If any are absolutely necessary, then we delay the release
> date
> > > and do another set of release candidates.
> > >
> > > Actual release date is Monday 2007-04-16 at 22:00 UTC [4] then wait
> > > for the mirrors to receive it before sending the announcements.
> > >
> > > ------------------------
> > > The proposed milestones are:
>
> [1] end of vote on Release Plan
> Monday 2007-04-02 at 22:00 UTC
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=02&month=04&yea
> r=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213
>
> [2] create initial release candidate, start testing
> Monday 2007-04-09 at 22:00 UTC
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=09&month=04&yea
> r=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213
>
> [3] create final release candidate
> Saturday 2007-04-14 at 22:00 UTC
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=14&month=04&yea
> r=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213
>
> [4] end of vote on final release candidate and commence the upload phase
> Monday 2007-04-16 at 22:00 UTC
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=16&month=04&yea
> r=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213
>
> [5] Code freeze is defined here
> http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/announce_code_freeze.txt
>
> > > ------------------------
> > > I will be the Release Manager and am happy to do the process by
> myself.
> > > This makes it easier for me. However, it is important to pass on
> > > knowledge, so perhaps someone does want to assist. Otherwise we can
> [...]

I was going to offer to assist, but waited the two days to see if anyone
else wanted to jump in first, if this is too late now or if you prefer
I'll help on 0.9 instead.

I see the note about building a Windows release is gone, are you happy
that your changes will be good, I will do one if necessary.

Gav...