forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:02:59 GMT

The last entry was for 19/09/2006. I have never updated this file, I will
take a look but may miss a few because I need to work out what is regarded
as major enough to be here.

> > ... and move some out into each plugin.
>
> Still needs doing.

So plugin specific changes should not be here at all?

> > Need to ensure each new plugin is mentioned in top-level status file.
>
> Still needs doing.
>
> > Also need to set the importance attribute for some entries so that
> > they show up in our release notes.
>
> Still needs doing.
>
> Patches welcome.

So all entries need to be of a certain importance to warrant being there is
the first place. From this list then we need to filter out the cream of the
crop that made the most difference ? What level of importance gets shown up
in the release notes?

> > ------------------------
> > FOR-868 add relevant notes to the "Upgrading" xdoc
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-868
> >
> > Needs attention.
>
> Some work has been done, but probably needs more.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-533 Auto Generate plugins.xml entry
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-533
> >
> > Same as last time.
> > Ross explained what needs to happen and suggested we do this for 0.8
>
> Recent progress is being made.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-639 define terminology for the various aspects of Dispatcher
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-639
> >
> > Same as last time.
> > A doc has been started. We need more content.
>
> This one was taken off the roadmap. However,
> it would be great if this was done because it will
> save a lot of confusion on the mailing list, because
> people are sure to be using it.

I have done some more work on this. It is possible that it is more
or less complete, but needs others to take a look to make sure what
I have put there is accurate and if there is anything else that can
go there.

As a side-effect of doing this I also updated two of the three howTo's
to reflect current practice, these really do need checking for accuracy,
but hope I got it right :)

> > Perhaps we just need a document to describe how to use Forrest as a web
> application.
>
> There is a patch provided. Can someone investigate.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-742 trouble accessing unversioned plugin for a released version of
> Forrest, e.g. projectInfo
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-742
> >
> > Perhaps this can be closed. Cyriaque and Ross seem happy.
>
> We will probably only be sure after we have done the release.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-241 character entities (e.g. ampersand) are expanded again for href
> or src attributes
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-241
> >
> > Suggest delay until 0.9 as the issue has been around for a long time.
>
> Ditto.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-765 forrest war and classpath issues with Jetty
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-765
> >
> > Same as last time.
> > Ask again for people to try a WAR archive.
>
> Default config seems okay with Jetty 6 and Java 5.

So what do we do here, create/update some docs to say to upgrade to
latest Java, Latest Jetty (and Tomcat 6??) then close the issue.?

> > ------------------------
> > FOR-911 decide content of release
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-911
> >
> > Need to investigate the linked mails and make a Proposal.
>
> I will work on that one after getting the Release Plan done.
>
> Will probably be similar size and packaging to
> last time, sorry. Next release we hope to use Ivy.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-922 update all docs that explain sitemap fragments
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-922
> >
> > Reasonably simple documentation job. Find all docs that give sitemap
> examples
> > and ensure that they are current.
>
> We have a "warning" workaround. However there is still
> time before the release for someone to patch these docs.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-731 empty linkmap.html document, side-effect of workaround to FOR-
> 675
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-731
> >
> > Same as last time.
> > Investigate.
>
> As Gav suggests, move to 0.9-dev.

Have moved it to 0.9.

> > ------------------------
> > FOR-861 Update locationmap docs for working with remote files
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-861
> >
> > Same as last time.
> > Should be a simple documentation job. Ross provides the references.
>
> Anyone can help.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-644 code-style cleanup for xml files
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-644
> >
> > This should be able to be done just prior to release.
> > We had delayed this, but i reckon that it is worth trying.
>
> I will attempt it straight after the code freeze starts.
>
> Need to work out an Ant target for a postfix to re-insert the
> removed space after inline closing tags (or maybe Tidy is fixed).
> Recently i noticed Cyriaque using a regexp replacement task,
> perhaps that will work for this.
>
> Everyone please get your changes contributed before that.
> Includes xml docs, configuration files, sitemaps, XSLs, etc.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-635 images not reproduced in PDFs, if sources are in xdocs/images
> directory
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-635
> >
> > Gavin did some investigation. It is complex.
> > Suggest delay until 0.9-dev
>
> ?

Right now I'm out of puff on this issue, if someone else can pick it up
and sort it before the code freeze starts then great, otherwise I don't
think I will be able to take another look until after the release, as part
of the 0.9 roadmap.

> ------------------------
> FOR-960 PNG Images not transparent in IE6 or below
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-960
>
> This one is a new addition to the roadmap.

And this has always been an issue really, just not added to Jira until
recently. I had suggested that using the MS proprietry AlphaImageLoader
would cure the problem - which it would, but need to do other changes to
get to that point. I am also thinking there may be another way of doing
it.

I will see about getting on with this again soon (I had a bit of an attempt
last week/week before). I don't think it is important enough to keep on
the 0.8 roadmap and hold up a release so if I don't get it done then we can
certainly delay until 0.9.

Gav...